How to make a French Knitter (Knitting Nancy)

Doesn't this look gorgeous? 
The changing colours in the wool are a wonder to my children as they work.
The yarn we have used is beautifully hand-painted and 

is available from Jo at Indigo Inspirations.

 The french knitting frenzy that has taken over our home, 
began with an unexpected parcel in the mail from Poppy - my Dad.

 Inside the above parcel was a wonderful surprise. 
He made each of us our own Knitting Nancy (French Knitter)!
(There were 3, only my boys had opened their parcels at the point of 

photographing and I hadn't yet got to mine.)

I had to pop this genuine photo in.
My ever so patient little guys were just dying to see 
what Poppy had sent.
"It takes so long, you're always taking photos Mama!".
(Yes, I am. I have a terrible memory. 
I love pictorial reminders, so much  )
 Poppy's very generous and much loved gifts were slightly small for us beginners. 
So, we made our own larger version. To practice on.

Materials.
Masking tape.  
Wooden ice-block sticks
A firm cardboard inner tube from baking paper I think it was. 
(I always keep these tubes for projects that may suddenly require them. 
See my Simple telescope post or Little Pip's painting, for example)

 Each of the four sticks are directly opposite each other. 
Measured by eye, where to place them and at which height. 

 The masking tape holds them in place nice and firmly.

How to begin knitting...

 Thread the end of the yarn down the centre of the tube.

Wrap the yarn in a clockwise direction, around each of the four sticks.

 Then bring the loose yarn, attached to the ball end, 
around the starting stick for the second time.

Pull the bottom loop over the new top loop.
Repeat on the second, third and fourth sticks.
Then repeat. Around and around. Over and over...

 Little Pipkin (4) now has the hang of it. 
Although he regularly pulls it all apart to begin again.

 Mr Turtle is listening to Roald Dahl's 'The BFG' (for the second time).
He loves audio books, 
but likes to do something with his hands (just like his Mama).

If you would rather a ready-made sweet little French Knitting Nancy Tool, 
like this one pictured. (Isn't it just gorgeous?) 
You can find them at Indigo Inspirations, with the rainbow wool too.

Happy Knitting!



I have linked with Natural Suburbia this week.
Pop on by to be inspired by other's shared creative-ness...

Labels: , , , ,