Our home~made cooked Playdough recipe

I used to always make plain white playdough for my boys. Or colour it with turmeric or another natural food colouring. 
However these days they are 3 & 5 and no longer try to eat it, 
so I don't get away with that. 

They like the bright colours of the inexpensive, shop bought food colours.
Actually, I do too. I've been known to make a whole spectrum of colours, only to have them be squished together to make a grey/purple lump, within an hour of being cooked!
(Well, the colours are fun for me).

I've tried many playdough recipes over the years. Some are too soft, or too crumbly. Often with a lot of salt which dries out their little hands (and mine too!).

So, here's the recipe, I have altered to suit our needs.
I keep it in the fridge, and unless it comes into contact with foreign objects, it seems to last forever...


Our cooked Playdough recipe
2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup salt
1 3/4 cups water
2T olive oil
4t cream of tartare
food colouring

Combine the wet ingredients in a jug. Combine the dry ingredients together, separately in a medium sized saucepan. Stir through the dry ingredients to mix.
Mix the wet to dry until there are no lumps (my boys love to help with this!).
Then continue to stir over a low heat, until you have the consistency of mashed potato. Then it's ready to scoop out, cool down and use.

~ When I make more than one single colour, I add the food colouring by separating the white dough into a few pieces and kneading the colour into them, while still rather hot.

Mr Turtle likes to make footprint tracks, using his (many) Schleich animals.
Mr Pipkin usually prefers to make spirals and snails, but not today.
What was I saying about foreign objects?
☆☆☆

Labels: